We sell fair products for a fair price, all year round. So in general, we don't do sales. And we certainly don’t want to encourage the feeding frenzy this time of the year. People spending money they don't have on things they don't need or want... this is not our way.
I realize this sounds a bit strange, and it is somewhat contradictory. Because we're a shop. We sell stuff.
Of course I want you to buy it. The more, the better.
Well, yeeessss… but. A big but.
Yarnz is also about balance, about reducing our footprint as much as possible, about treading lightly and kindly, about spending your money wisely and ethically, and about being part of a community that values quality over quantity.
About buying less, choosing well, and making it last.
Still, it is nice to celebrate a special occasion.
So this is our compromise, inspired by other (small) business owners and out-of-the-box thinkers, we celebrate with a Black Friday alternative.
This is how we do it:
From Friday Nov 29 until Monday Dec 2 (midnight):
- Instead of discounts, we will donate 25% of profits to charity.
- Plus an Offer You Can't Refuse: Orders over €75 get a Tony Chocolonely chocolate bar! (If you want the vegan option (dairy free dark chocolate), just say so in the order comments or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- And an extra incentive: We raffle 5 Golden Tickets among all orders over €100. (Well, gold-ish tickets... well, a nice voucher anyway ;) Each voucher is worth €10 of shopping credit in our store. Use it on your next Yarnz shopping spree, or give it to a friend!
Two charities. One for people and one for the planet:
1. For people: ASHWA Uganda.
ASHWA supports the most vulnerable girls and women in Uganda, where menstrual hygiene and sex education are very much taboo.
Sanitary towels are unavailable or unaffordable. Consequence is that girls regularly miss school and finally drop out of school and become isolated.
ASHWA teaches about menstrual hygiene and how to make their own reusable sanitary pads.
I know the founder, Eric Omondi, personally. I am absolutely convinced that they are making the difference in many Ugandese communities and have been a proud supporter of them for years.
These guys are absolute rockstars when it comes to empowering (young) women.
The world needs many, many more courageous men and women like them.
Half of our Green Friday donation will go to ASHWA Uganda.
2. For the planet: Trees for All.
Every year ten billion trees are lost. With disastrous consequences for people, animals and climate.
Trees for All plant trees, protect and restore existing forest and raise awareness about the need for trees. Both here in Holland where I live and also further away, through sustainable forestry projects in developing countries.
Half of our Green Friday donation will go to Trees for All.